Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Workprinter 24fps to 30fps transfer

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have the money for a workprinter right now, so I am experimenting with other things. I just have one question about the stopmotion capture in Premiere. If you capture all the frames of your movie, and play it back, it will be slightly fast because it is playing at 30fps. How does the WP overcome this? Do you just slow it down by like 80%?

    Thanks
    Corey

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Jeff. That's what I assumed but I wasn't sure if the WP could do some sort of 3:2 pulldown. Would you or anyone else happen to know the percentage to slow down film shot at 18, and 16fps also?

    Thanks Again
    Corey

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Use a calculator.
    Divide your filmed framerate by 29.97.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The formulas are;

    24fps = 80% speed change

    18fps = 60% speed change

    15fps = 50% speed change

    I suppose there could be a specific speed change for running at 16fps but 15 divides into 30 evenly so that's what most people use.

    Now, the above speed changes will result in "whole frame" pulldown, which actually looks okay. However, Jeff Dodson's DodCap software will perform "split field" pulldowns that play smoother. For instance, instead of just doubling every fourth frame for 24fps, it will take a field from original frame 4 and a field from original frame 5 and interpolate the two fields to form the "inbetween" frame 4a that appears after frame 4 and before frame 5. Hope that helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Roger

  5. #5
    Inactive Member digvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2001
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Corey -

    Yes, I believe that 80% is the correct speed change in Premiere. This should make 24fps source material look correct when played at 30fps. The WorkPrinter simply gives you a frame-by-frame copy of the film frames, which makes the speed change via software necessary.

    - Jeff D.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member regular8mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2003
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I capture with the WorkPrinter I get a 15fps avi file that has one frame for each film frame. That goes into Premiere. If the output is ntsc then every frame gets doubled, now there are two duplicate frames of each original film frame on the Premiere timeline. Clicking on the film clip on the timeline, selecting 'speed change', 100 is the default speed in blue. A change above that, say 135 will shorten the timeline and speed up the playback; a number below 100, say 80, will lengthen the timeline movie clip and make it play slower. My 24fps films were shot a little too fast, 27fps?, and required a speed change to 135% to make them look like normal walking.
    I don't get this 80% thing you are talking about. That is not how my outfit works.
    Michael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •